I would like to sincerely thank Urbandementria for nominating me. It’s such a lovely award (quite literally). Don’t forget to click on that link to check out her blog. She writes beautifully in prose AND poetry. She is also a really friendly blogger who is active in the WordPress community. So, follow her and you might just gain one more friend.
Questions from Urbanmentria:
1. Why do you blog?
I grew up with the internet. I have blogged in various platforms prior to this. I used to have a blogspot during my early teens. My blog, then, used to be a run-through of the day’s events. It was so embarrassing for me to actually read my archives. There literally was no value whatsoever; and I really don’t think anyone gave two shits about what I ate for lunch or who said what to me. And then in my late-teens, I moved to livejournal. I was no longer writing a detailed account of my day to day, but rather sporadic musings and occasional outbursts. These blogs are distinctly different from my current WordPress blog. I guess I could say that now, I write. I actively write to better myself, or to share an opinion, or to be a little more creative.
2. Tell the story behind the name of your blog.
There isn’t a story here – it’s my name. I know; how imaginative.
3. Which books are you currently reading?
I’m currently reading James Patterson’s Cross. I describe most of my crime novels as lacklustre. Or maybe because I bought my crime novels in series and the writing seem to deteriorate over time. Perhaps because too many crime novels have gotten me sick of the genre. On a more exciting note, I just bought F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Collected Works for a steal at $13. I can’t wait to get started on them!
4. Which are the three books that you cannot live without?
I have talked about my favourite books a few times already. So, I’ll just name them instead.
i. In A Strange Room by Damon Galgut
ii. Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger
iii. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
5. If there was a movie based on your life, which actor/actress would be best suited to play you and why?
Jonah Hill. He knows. He knows how it feels like to be the fat guy and the guy that lost a lot of weight. More importantly, he is funny. And versatile – taking on dramatic roles as well.
6. Which is the one novel/short story that you would love to have been a character of?
I would love it if my last name was ‘Glass’. Alas, Salinger is no longer around to make that happen.
7. Are you more comfortable with writing poetry or prose? Why?
Prose. Definitely prose. I am not much of creative writer. I’m still struggling with creative writing. I don’t think I have the flair nor creativity for poetry. I have never written poems, and probably never will.
8. Tell us three random facts about yourself.
- I have two dogs. And yes, I have a favourite. (I don’t think I’m supposed to say that out loud.)
- I was the first ever President of my primary school’s Student Council. Preceding that was the Prefectorial Board.
- I’ve been practising Muay Thai (Thai Kick-Boxing) for the past 2 years. So; you know; don’t mess with me. I’m kidding! Not.
9. Which book would you have loved to write?
In A Strange Room.
Damon Galgut wrote it in first perspective. But it’s one of those novel that you suspect is mostly autobiographical. I guess I would want to have written this book not just for the prose, but the hope that I would have experienced his wanderlust that eventually led up to the book.
10. How would you like to be remembered?
I shall not delve into a philosophical discussion on my existential purpose. I just wish that at my deathbed, I will be regret-free and not mulling over my legacy.
Questions For You
This is the part where I’m supposed to nominate a few blogs to accept this award and answer my 10 questions. I’m going to try something different. I would like it for ANY of my followers to accept this award in my name and answer my questions. I really like reading such award posts because it provides an opportunity for me to know just a little more about the writer. So do me a favour, and answer these:
- What type of posts do you prefer writing on your site? Why?
- Link back to a post you are most proud of and explain why.
- Pick just one book out of your favourites and convince me to read it.
- Tell me about an interest of yours, other than writing.
- If you could travel back to only one specific moment in your life, where/when would you travel back to?
- How much do you like your day job, or the lack thereof?
- What are some of your pet peeves?
- Convince me to watch your favourite TV Show/Movie.
- What is that one quirk people have noticed about you?
- Tell me a fact about yourself.
Remember to ping back to this post so that I can go read your answers. Or if you don’t feel like putting this on your site, you can just answer them in the comments section of my post.